Sunday, September 2, 2012

Innovators + Passion = Spectacular Things

Message: Passion Keeps The World Turning


Bill Strickland, the author of Make The Impossible Possible, was quoted in The Innovation Secrets of Steve Jobs (written by Carmine Gallo) saying, “Passion won’t protect you against setbacks, but it will ensure that no failure is ever final.”

As I read this, it was as if I was slapped in the face with something that I thought I already knew. Did we ever really have passion for the thing we gave up on? How do we know what real passion looks like, and what can keep our eye on the prize after multiple “failures”? 

After reading comments from Bill Strickland, it hit me: innovators are not hindered. I myself end up becoming frustrated with what I perceive as failures. I can safely say that I bought into this “misconception” that if something does not end up successful the first time, then I am a failure. 

What I did not know is that this is the furthest thing from the truth. Failures, instead of hindering, should fuel the fire of our passions. If we are truly passionate about something, should we not gratefully accept our failures as a way to rule out options? 


The issue is, EVERYONE must know that passion ensures that no failure is ever final. If you want to make a difference, you must try, try again. The innovation road is not smoothly paved; the only way you can find your way is to venture off to foreign territories. We must use our passions to go boldly where no man has ever gone before.

Sam Calagione (author of Brewing Up A Business) wholeheartedly agrees, stating in his book, “If you want something bad enough and are willing to do anything necessary to make it happen, you can make it happen.” 

The message is this: if the passion within you to create something extraordinary is real, you will find a way to make a difference. As someone who sets to make a difference once I am out of school, this is something that I cannot and will not forget. We all have the opportunity to pull a “Steve Jobs” and make a difference. The only thing that matters is if we can keep our passionate fire from burning out when we hit a roadblock.

A True Passion-Follower: Blake Mycoskie


Passion may know no boundaries, but it lives within the physical world. When I think of a passion-follower, I automatically am programmed to think of Steve Jobs and his persistence. However, if I were to go back in time before I read The Innovation Secrets Of Steve Jobs, I may have a different view of a passion-follower.

Blake Mycoskie, the founder of TOMS, is the man behind the One for One program. According to his bio (which can be found at http://www.toms.com/blakes-bio) 600,000 pairs of new shoes were given to children around the world as of April 2010. Now, I don’t know how many more have been given out since then, but I can imagine it is an incredible number. 

Did Blake Mycoskie run into issues while trying to start up his company, TOMS? Probably. Has he made a huge dent in the world by following through with his plan to make a difference? Absolutely. 

And if that doesn’t interest you, go to http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com. There is an official day set up for people to go one day without shoes. It is believed that the lack of shoes will make people curious, which will result in conversation. The point is to spread the word about the hazards of living without shoes in other countries. 

Blake Mycoskie made a difference. He is one person, and he defines what I think of when I think of passion. I am amazed when I think about his journey and what he has already done for the world. His favorite quote seems to reflect his view on life:

“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” –Gandhi

Click here to see website


No comments:

Post a Comment